1:1 coaching can be delivered face to face, by telephone – skype available, video link, email or instant messaging. It is preferable that the first session is face to face
Coaching should take place in safe, confidential environment free from potential interuption. I conduct face to face coaching at my offices in Harrogate; neutral, mutually convenient venues such as the IOD offfices or in special cases at the client’s offices.
Coaching usually consists of a minimum of three 90 minute – 3 hour sessions. However, everyone is different and the way coaching works best for you will be considered in the (first) Chemistry meeting link required.
A programme of six sessions is ideal, usually one per month. Everybody is different and your needs are discussed and agreed, as are the scope and boundaries of the coaching.
I coach Executives through many different performance related challenges. The topics generally fall into two categories:- business / personal performance or career transition blended with life balance. See testimonials (link required)
Below are the three best definitions that best encapsulate my approach to coaching. I was privileged to be trained by both Myles and Sir John Whitmore
The art of facilitating the performance, learning and development of another (Myles Downey, 2003)
Unlocking a person’s potential to maximise their own performance. It is helping them to learn rather than teaching them. (Whitmore, 2003)
A professional partnership between a qualified coach and an individual or team that supports the achievement of extraordinary results, based on the goals set by the individual or team (ICF, 2005)
- Coaching is not a substitute for Human Resource Management
- Coaching is not giving advice
- Coaching is not therapy
These definitions have influenced My tenets of coaching which I go through with any client before commencing a coaching programme
- Everything we discuss is completely confidential between you and me. No one else will know it unless you choose to discuss it elsewhere. In case of a sponsor, all I report is the time and date of the meetings. It is up to you if you wish to relay these discussions with them.
- This venue has been chosen to provide a safe, interruption free environment for us to talk.
- I subscribe to the code of ethics as laid down by the European Mentoring and Coaching Council
- I will ask you what you want to talk about. You may have one or more topics that you wish to resolve.
- As your coach my role is not to provide you with solutions but to give a framework of thinking, through carefully targeted questions, that allows you to produce your own solution and help you realise that solution by holding you to account for your decisions. This is very different from the usual interaction with a consultant who, we are all taught, will produce better thinking than the client – why else pay them?!
- It is my intention that you leave here feeling that you have gained momentum and moved towards achieving your desired outcome.
- Coaches rarely interrupt their clients and will wait until you have completely finished a thought. This may result in periods of silence. This is normal in any coaching session but not in general conversation. Are you comfortable with this?
- I will pose questions designed to help you to examine the topic
- These questions are formulated in such a way as to help you (automatically) consider and reflect on the choices and options you have.
- Reflection on certain topics can sometimes create highly emotional states. This is normal and understood.
- As your coach I may switch roles to serve you better. The roles can move from Coach to Challenger to Cheerleader to Confidant. At all times, I have your best interests in mind.
- I may offer additional choices for you to consider as part of the options you are considering, once I believe you have exhausted all your perceived options. I will ask your permission to do so.
- The intention is to help you create an action plan to achieve your chosen solution and how you will know whether you are succeeding in your goal.
- As agreed we have allowed 2-3 hours for this session. However we can take as long as you want. If it is a complex topic and you need more time, you can decide if want to book a second session or several.
- From time to time I will be taking notes. Is this Ok? During this time I will not be looking at you.
- Is this process ok with you?
click this link to download a sample contract.
To engage this service